AXON AX100 MKii -Windows XP editor problems and midi output problems
Andrew Capon
2006-01-15 19:47:44 UTC
Hi Everyone,

My nice new AX100 mk ii has arrived and overall I am pretty happy with
it.

The main problem I have is with the editor program not starting.

The first time I ran it it started ok and let me choose the midi
connections and then connected to the unit ok.

The next time I ran it it just sat there using 100% cpu without ever
bringing up the UI. This is on a dual XEON, so it's using 100% of both
processors!

Is anyone else seeing this?

Also the unit plays very well using the inbuilt sounds, the tracking is
better than my GR-33, especially on the bass strings but the midi output
is full of very small midi notes which I can clean up in Cubase but it's
a bit of a a pain.

In this respect It is just as bad as the gr33 was. Has anyone got any
advice of how to remedy this?

Thanks for any help

Andy

Yahoo! Groups Links

midiguitar-***@yahoogroups.com

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
Joel B. Christian
2006-01-16 05:57:53 UTC
Hi:

100% of dual processors sounds like a device conflict. Check your MIDI
interface. Also, try starting the editor with the Axon unhooked. You
could also have a midi loop which locks things up. Something like
"local off" will keep from putting each midi command in a perpetual
loop. This could be on the midi unit or on the PC interface (or both).

Joel C.

Andrew Capon
2006-01-16 08:57:42 UTC
Hi Joel,

Thanks for the reply.

I have tried it using 3 separate midi interfaces A motu micro lite,
Yamaha 01x and Yamaha i88x.

I have also tried it will all midi interfaces turned off, with the ax
100 turned off and with all my other midi devices turned off.

None of these things changes anything!

I have managed to get it working by doing the following:

Before running the editor start regedit and change the midi in and midi
out device in [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\TerraTec Electronic GmbH\AXON
AX 100 Editor] to "MIDI Yoke NT: 1", then start the editor it starts
fine, then change to the correct midi devices and connect. I have to do
this each time I run the editor.

I have loads of other midi equipment and software editors and get no
problems with any of them.

I have contacted Terratec support (even though they don't list the as
100 as a supported product!) so hopefully I will hear something from
them, it looks like a bug in the editor. I have a workaround now anyway
even though it's a pain.

Once again thanks for your help.

Cheers

Andy

________________________________

Ray Dawson
2006-01-16 08:46:36 UTC
In article
Post by Andrew Capon
The main problem I have is with the editor program not starting.
The first time I ran it it started ok and let me choose the midi
connections and then connected to the unit ok.
The next time I ran it it just sat there using 100% cpu without ever
bringing up the UI. This is on a dual XEON, so it's using 100% of both
processors!
Is anyone else seeing this?
Not your particular problem, but there was a problem with working with
some MIDI interfaces. A fixed version is on the Terratec Producer web
site, somewhere in the support pages.

Have you tried the Axon message forum by the way? The Terratec staff look
at it all the time and give good advice for problems.

http://producerde.terratec.net/axonf/index.php

Cheers,

Ray D

Andrew Capon
2006-01-16 09:17:04 UTC
Hi Ray,

Thanks for the advice on the forum, I have found it and am posting a
message there.

Cheers

Andy

________________________________

Andrew Capon
2006-01-18 15:12:57 UTC
Hi Everyone,

The problem with the AX100 editor not starting on my machine was down to
a problem with the editor and MidiYoke.

I posted the problem on the Terratec forum, on the same day I posted
Gregor Pogatzki from Terratec was in contact with me and within another
day he had fixed the problem with the editor and sent me a new version
that works.

I must say I am very impressed with the support offered by terratec with
this issue, if only other companies were as helpful,

I have also sorted out the problems with the ax100 generating lots of
small ghost notes on the midi out by playing with the various
sensitivity settings, I now get a few, probably about 5% of what I get
with the GR33.

I must admit I am very impressed by the Axon AX100 mk ii, the tracking
is spot on and very fast even on the low strings. I can highly recommend
this unit to anyone.

Ray Dawson
2006-01-18 16:11:29 UTC
In article
Post by Andrew Capon
I posted the problem on the Terratec forum, on the same day I posted
Gregor Pogatzki from Terratec was in contact with me and within another
day he had fixed the problem with the editor and sent me a new version
that works.
Yes, the response from Gregor and Philipp is very good. A new version of
editor in a couple of days :-)
Post by Andrew Capon
I must admit I am very impressed by the Axon AX100 mk ii, the tracking
is spot on and very fast even on the low strings. I can highly recommend
this unit to anyone.
But that is something I haven't been able to sort out yet - even with the
help of Trratec staff :-(

My piezo Godin and Roland Ready Strat both have very bad tracking with
the AX100 MK II. Both however work very well with the GR-33.

I've played around with the sensitivity settings, but have got nowhere.
It doesn't matter if I have low values around 16-22 or high values fromm
35-48, the AX100 stil produces a lot of glitches. Philipp suggested I set
the thresholds at 3 and 5 respectively. Although the trigger at 3 reduces
the glitches, it also reduces the sensitivity so much that I have to
hammer the strings to get them to sound.

Any chance of you letting me know what settings you ended up with so that
I can try them?

Many thanks,

Dan Ash
2006-01-19 18:50:07 UTC
gregor_malecha
2006-01-20 03:25:07 UTC
Dan,

which was your previous version in the AX-100?

:^) Greg
Post by Dan Ash
The new version of the Axon software editor works on my AX-100SB with
the Terratec-installed upgrade. I see it's just been posted as a
download at the Terratec Producer site.

Dan Ash
2006-01-23 16:16:48 UTC
Greg,

Sorry I didn't see your post until this AM... I purchased a NOS
factory-upgraded AX-100SB after it became clear that my old unit
would not support the upgrade kit sound card, nor the software editor.

My old Axon hardware version is the one with the single knob (one of
those not supported by the upgrade kit). This unit supposedly began
life as an AX-100, and the sound card was installed later. I suspect
it might have also had a software update at that time, too. I'm at
work so I'm not certain what the old operating system version is, but
I think it is 2.08.

The upgraded eprom *did* work, and if the editor had worked I might
have skipped the purchase of the second Terratec-upgraded unit.

I'm very happy now that I have the latest version of the graphical
editor. As I understand it, the upgraded AX100SB is essentially the
same as the new MKII version, yes?

Dan Ash
White Plains, NY

gregor_malecha
2006-01-24 14:12:26 UTC
Hi Dan,

Thanks for your reply. I had asked because I believe to remember that
you had written about upgrade troubles with your old machine, and now
I was wondering how you had solved it.
... I purchased a NOS factory-upgraded AX-100SB ...
NOS is "New Old Stock", I assume.
My old Axon hardware version is the one with the single knob
(one of those not supported by the upgrade kit). This unit
supposedly began life as an AX-100, and the sound card was
installed later. I suspect it might have also had a software
update at that time, too. I'm at work so I'm not certain what the
old operating system version is, but I think it is 2.08.
Single knob was up to v2.03 & DB-50XG.
If you had indeed v2.08 or higher it was DB-51XG.
(just by the way, not important now)
I'm very happy now that I have the latest version of the graphical
editor.
Sure! The old way is awkward.
It's a good move that TerraTec put the editor for download on their
website. Thus anybody can have an indepth look at it and get
attracted to the upgrade.
As I understand it, the upgraded AX100SB is essentially
the same as the new MKII version, yes?
Concerning all regular functions - yes, as I understood.
The only difference I know of, apart from the housing, is that future
upgrades need to be done by exchanging the EPROM, whereas with the
regular MKII you can do this just by hooking it to the computer and
transferring the new OS. - That's what I heard up to now.

:^) Greg

Dan Ash
2006-01-25 16:09:50 UTC
gregor_malecha
2006-01-25 18:04:27 UTC
Post by Dan Ash
Post by gregor_malecha
Single knob was up to v2.03 & DB-50XG.
Turns out that the OS installed in the older Axon is v2.02. The
unit displays 'Axon 100 SB' when powering up. Interesting,
considering that the unit supposedly shipped as an AX-100 not
an 'SB' model.
That only means that R16 is removed from the mainboard. Even if no
soundboard were installed it would then display 'Axon 100 SB'.

This modification by itself could be useful for people who want to
get access to all XG parameters to drive an external XG-synth even if
they don't have the DB-50XG installed in the AX-100.
(Later mainboards had R120 for this.)

If R16 (R120) weren't removed, the soundboard could be plugged in and
would never be recognized by the AX-100. I dug through this with Tom
May (long time no hear) last year.

I remember, beginning of last year we spoke about you being
interested in understanding the XG architecture and the DB-50XG,
though you basically didn't use the internal sounds themselves that
much.

Dan Ash
2006-01-26 19:46:52 UTC
Post by gregor_malecha
I remember, beginning of last year we spoke about you being
interested in understanding the XG architecture and the DB-50XG,
though you basically didn't use the internal sounds themselves that
much.
Yes - you have a good memory! At the time I was interested mostly in
reducing the midi soup generated by the Axon, as I was seeing wacky
behavior in my downstream synths that I though might have been
related to the XG-specific parms in the preset settings.

It's pretty much a moot question at this poing, because my main Axon
is the Terratec-upgraded unit, and the downstream synths are much
better behaved - due to the new eprom/operating system - or maybe
just due to the elimination of the XG support....

Thanks for clarifying the process by which the AX-100 is upgraded to
an AX-100SB.

Dan Ash
White Plains, NY