G-Vox MIDI Guitar - is there any use ?
m***@yahoo.com
2007-06-16 19:50:15 UTC
Hello MIDI Guitar folk ... what is the PROPER
method to find out if ANYONE! has an interest in any
Fender G-Vox MIDI Guitar items ? ... is there a
place to sell stuff here or should I go to eBay ?
Guitarically, Tom Oh !

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:midiguitar-***@yahoogroups.com

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
DP
2007-06-21 10:50:27 UTC
Hi Tom and everybody,

I saw a G-Vox on eBay Germany 1 month ago, but it costed
32 euro including shipping, so I didn´t buy it, neither anybody else.
It is too risky to buy a system, that isn´t midi-compatible and has
probably no driver for current/future PC/Mac operational systems.

I´ll pay maximum 10 euro for it, because it has a few interesting
licks on the tuition-CD. Hope it will run in my Windoze XP...

Cheers,
George
http://midiguitar.eu

Yahoo! Groups Links

Timothy Kelly
2007-06-21 17:15:58 UTC
Hi All,
XP does have that backwards compatibility mode, so
maybe parts of the GVox would work in XP. The bigger
problem is most XP PCx do not have serial ports at
all. Nor do the onboard sound chips many have instead
of a soundcard, on XP PCs have any kind of joystick
midi port.

So you need a seperate soundcard in newer PCs than
Windows 98 systems to even mess with the GVox. I have
been meaning to try my GVox wih my XP PC, but I took
out the soundcard and installed it in my Vista PC.

So there went that idea.

Happy Midi
MidiVox

m***@yahoo.com
2007-06-21 19:50:05 UTC
Hey George ... you said "I´ll pay maximum 10 euro for
it, because it has a few interesting licks on the
tuition-CD. Hope it will run in my Windoze XP" ...
is it OK if I email you those licks for free ? ... I
just got a complete G-Vox NIB Windows Package ...
hardware/manual/software CD ... it only cost a total
of $16 USD>item+S&H ... tell me what licks or folder
or ? you'd like and I'll email 'em to you FREE ... Tom
Oh !

James
2007-06-22 15:12:49 UTC
I think the G-vox system [I have one] was made for Win 95, and while it
MIGHT work with Win 98 or ME but I've read more than once that it will
not work with later versions. That said, I haven't tried it. You could
always set a dual OS system on your pc.

Generally an obsolete software program program is of very little if any
value. However, if you like to experiment or tinker, the G-vox system
contains a hex pickup; so it might have a little value from that viewpoint.

As someone else mentioned you will need to arrange for a serial port
input or other midi hardware for it to work. And I don't know what that
other hardware might be.

I'd be interested in what anyone finds out for sure...

James
Re: G-Vox MIDI Guitar - is there any use ?
george_pootnik <http://profiles.yahoo.com/george_pootnik>
Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:50 am (PST)
http://midiguitar.eu <http://midiguitar.eu>

m***@yahoo.com
2007-06-22 16:41:59 UTC
Hello James, can I email you with a question or two
if+when I get around to playin' with this G-Vox
hardware and software on my old Macintosh Computers
and old Mac Operating Systems ... I have no desire at
this point to work with any audio, so midi does just
fine on old Mac OS versions 9/8/7/6 ... it's all about
bein' creative on a small scale ... it's fun fer' me
... thanks for your input James ... I play no
instrument other than this neat gift I got from a
Friend of mine, my voice ... I see MIDI as a tool to
use to express myself via music when music friends are
not available ... keep on midin' Tom Oh !

James
2007-06-23 16:03:29 UTC
I'll be happy to answer any questions I can. But I'm on a pc, not a
Mac. And I haven't had the G-vox hooked up in years.

James
Re: G-Vox MIDI Guitar - is there any use ?
midimacmobile <http://profiles.yahoo.com/midimacmobile>
Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:42 am (PST)

m***@yahoo.com

DP
2007-07-08 13:55:53 UTC
A few days ago I´ve got the G-Vox software vers. 3 CD.
Unfortunately the G-Vox software (probably drivers) show an
error-message "Runs only on Windows 95", so it is useless
on a Windoze XP and probably on Vishta too.
I was hoping to get a lot of those free G-Vox riffs, which were
downloadable on the Internet in the 90es. Unfortunately nothing
to find on the web today, and the CD has only a dozen of them.
The riff-player-software work on my XP, so it could be useful
if I had a few more licks. If some members of this honorable
list could send me a few, I would be very grateful!

Thanks in advance,
George
www.midiguitar.eu

sixtyfourguitars
2007-07-08 15:29:09 UTC
Post by DP
A few days ago I´ve got the G-Vox software vers. 3 CD.
Unfortunately the G-Vox software (probably drivers) show an
error-message "Runs only on Windows 95", so it is useless
on a Windoze XP and probably on Vishta too.
Have you tried it in Windows XP's compatibility mode for Windows 95?

See this page for details:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/appcompat.mspx

DP
2007-07-08 18:36:37 UTC
keith mcmillen
2007-07-08 19:38:01 UTC
Try the Internet Archive:

http://web.archive.org/web/*/www.gvox.com

They have snapshots of the ENTIRE INTERNET !

Best,

Keith
Post by DP
Does anybody have a copy of this?
------------------------------------
"the PC- and Mac-compatible CD is a compilation of more than 350
interactive lessons with artist tips and information for improving
technique and understanding of music theory from five world-renowned
guitarists, including Steve Morse and Adrian Legg. It is available now
at GVOX's Web site, www.gvox.com <http://www.gvox.com/>, and at leading
music and computer retailers for a suggested retail price of $29.99."
"The product contains many signature riffs from award-winning guitarists
Steve Morse, Adrian Legg and Carl Verheyen. Other artists included are
Bill Purse, chairman of both the Guitar and Music Synthesis Departments
at Duquesne University in Pittsburgh, and Greg Davis, one of
Philadelphia's most sought after guitar instructors. Both offer
libraries that demonstrate scales, arpeggios and advanced fingering
techniques."

gregor_malecha
2007-07-09 21:13:59 UTC
Keith, http://web.archive.org that's just an amazing link!
Thanks for that, I didn't know such thing existed.
Instantly helped me in finding some old drivers I had been looking for
which I hadn't found anywhere else...

:^) Greg

MoonCaine
2007-07-09 02:51:06 UTC
DP
2007-07-10 16:09:12 UTC
Moonie wrote: "and wanted to run VEditor, which seems
to work until it's time to save a patch..."
----------------------
VEditor usually crashes when you try to "save as...". To avoid
this, try to create a new library, tweak and simply "save". You
can rename it later in the folder-menu. This is how it works on
Windblows XP, probably it will work too on your "Virtual PC".

Good luck!

BTW: Still couldn´t find the CD "Riffs Artist Collecton" by G-Vox (or
was it Lyrrus?) A german store sells 4 floppies by G-Vox for some 12
euros now, made in year 1995 ! Wonder if the data is still readable... ;-)
There are some Steve Morse riffs included. I really like his style!

Regards,

MoonCaine
2007-07-11 01:30:51 UTC
Thanks, George, I'll try to remember that!

--moonie
Post by DP
Moonie wrote: "and wanted to run VEditor, which seems
to work until it's time to save a patch..."
VEditor usually crashes when you try to "save as...". To avoid
this, try to create a new library, tweak and simply "save". You
can rename it later in the folder-menu. This is how it works on
Windblows XP, probably it will work too on your "Virtual PC".
-- -- --
"I geschmoigetted her geflayvity with my gedoogus." --Quagmire