The Passac Sentient Six guitar MIDI controller/hex pickup
dulissi
2005-08-03 14:30:46 UTC
Anyone have any comments on these? can be used with a hex pickup
other than the proprietry one or not?
Thanks

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
Laurie
2005-08-09 04:32:01 UTC
To the best of my knowledge these can't be used with a hex pickup as
they expect some kind of signal with the strings already multiplexed
before the signal enters the unit, and it enters on what looks like a
standard guitar cable (predates Roland 13-pin, which is why the 6 info
from the strings have to be multiplexed, because they're using just 2
wires, not 13). I don't know what kind of signal the Sentient Six
expects to be fed but I'd love to find out.

If anyone has a clue, please post it. These units are around but no
one knows what to plug into them.

- Laurie

dulissi
2005-08-09 13:58:57 UTC
Well it looks like this one will have a new home,the $50
Reserve has been met. I am curious to know more about this
unit also! I can't even remember when or where I first heard
about this unit, but I think it came out in the early 90's.
I looked through all 8 of my old Midi Guitarist issues and
it wasn't in any of these! I must have seen it in a copy of
Guitar Player. Seems odd thats there is NO INFO on the net
about these. Must have been very few sold and I also remember
hearing negitive feedback about the tracking compared to what
was out in the late 80's.

David

Laurie
2005-08-09 17:29:05 UTC
I'm not 100% sure and I hope someone will be knowledgeable enough to
correct whatever I got wrong.

I think I first saw one at 1988 Winter NAMM. They were made by Passac
in NSW Australia. I think one of the big problems, and the reason they
are less well known and understood, and that there are Sentient Six
boxes around but not guitars with pickups to plug into them is that
they never sold pickups to install in guitars or published info on how
that was done. I think people bought a system, shipped their guitar to
Passac's US technician to have a pickup installed and tweaked, and
received back the S6 rack unit along with their own guitar of choice,
now equipped to plug right into it. The pickups mounted internally and
were not labelled, so guitars that had this mod done that got
separated from the Sentient Six rack units are floating around looking
just like other guitars and no one knows how to contrive a pickup that
will plug into an S6 rack box.

The pickups were at least sometimes mounted in Kahler tremolo briges
on electrics.

I'd love to have more info. These S6 boxes are around but no info on
how to set up a guitar to plug into one.

- Laurie

Laurie
2005-08-09 18:56:52 UTC
Google gets us the Passac Sentient Six's MIDI Pickup (MPX-1/Kahler
tremolo bridge) Instructions, courtesy of John Laidler, who digitized it:

http://home.pacific.net.au/~johnl23/passac_pickup.pdf

The schematic and/or signal specifics for the MPX-1 multiplexer are
not included but it's at least something. If the MPX-1 turns out to be
a standard multiplexer card... ("if wishes were horses")...

BTW I couldn't upload this to this group's Files/Manuals directory
because of it's size (1.9 meg). I got an error message so it looks
like this group is just about out of disk space on the yahoo servers.

- Laurie

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
2005-08-09 19:45:21 UTC
I remember tryin the passac at a namm show when it was new
this was at a time when a bunch of folks got into midi gtr
and i remember lumping it with the gibson labbs unit + a few
others at the time that tracked reasonably well but had some
fluke like not tracking hammer ons or wierd chromatic mode or something
I looked into it because it used piezo saddles and this was/is
something I like using on electrics
my opinion at the time was it didn't compare well with other units
then available and i rejected it
I don't remember what it was but there was something dodgey
about it
it was a pretty nifty pickup tho
I looked seriously at the unit based on the pickup
at the time there was very little available like it
6 piezo saddles mounted in a khaler vintage style bridge
I would buy one of the bridge/pickup units and mod it to work
with a modern 13 pin output system but I would not buy a late 80s
midi converter, even for $50
I'd put that $50 in my sock drawer and add to it
till I had $150 for a used GI10(a very good unit),
200 for Gr30 or 300 for a new GI20 or used axon 77
or something similar

when i think of late 80s systems there is no vintage vibe
the gear got gradually better and the new units are really very good
I own and recommend the roland GI20
you can get them online for around $300 new
not pocket change I know but very reasonable for current technology
i wouldn't buy anything before 95 (starting with gr30 or NGC77) and I
think
the newest roland and axon units are clearly better than earlier models
and are finally free of most of the earlier units tracking frustrations

I used a TRS cable with the GTM6 and it was nifty
but you'd have to have a smart guy convince me the multiplexer
doesn't add some delay or potential signal wierdness

my .02
Post by Laurie
Google gets us the Passac Sentient Six's MIDI Pickup (MPX-1/Kahler
http://home.pacific.net.au/~johnl23/passac_pickup.pdf
The schematic and/or signal specifics for the MPX-1 multiplexer are
not included but it's at least something. If the MPX-1 turns out to be
a standard multiplexer card... ("if wishes were horses")...
BTW I couldn't upload this to this group's Files/Manuals directory
because of it's size (1.9 meg). I got an error message so it looks
like this group is just about out of disk space on the yahoo servers.
- Laurie
Yahoo! Groups Links

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
Laurie
2005-08-09 20:56:55 UTC
I've been curious about the GI20 and wondered how it compares to the
Axon 100 that I've worked with the most, or to the GTM-6. My classic
guitar tracks pretty well into the GTM-6, and I do remember wondering
whether the small tracking delay compared to it that I experienced
with the Passac interface was due to mis-adjustment or inherent in
their process.

My understanding, not knowing the Passac people well but having sat
down and talked with them at that NAMM show going on 2 decades ago,
was that they seemed to be nice people fighting an underfunded uphill
struggle to gain a foothold in the North American market against the
competition of majors like Roland, an uphill struggle that was
ultimately unsuccessful. With technology changing that rapidly, many
people were becoming afraid to buy from small companies who might not
be around to support their music gear for years to come. And Roland
would soon clear all the small MIDI guitar independents out of the
market by standardizing the 13-pin interface. Passac's product line
also included just about the cleanest mixers around at the time, the
Unity-8, and a cute little active resonance signal processor meant for
guitar
<http://www.harmony-central.com/Effects/Data/Passac/AGR1000-1.html>.

It's not that I'm looking to get a 1st MIDI interface for guitar,
though thanks for your suggestions. I'm interested in the history of
MIDI guitar's development. If it's like just about every other kind of
music technology that's undergone rapid continuous change in recent
decades, there will be musically useful and interesting ideas in
systems that are now obsolete that were unique to them and deserve to
be known about and remembered. My guess is that given the audio
quality and unusual thinking of their few other products, there could
well be some musically pretty interesting aspects to the Sentient Six.
Musical instruments are all different, and it may be that it tracks
slow and can only be used for slow music but that there will be
compositional possibilities different from those of other interfaces.
But without a guitar with an appropriate pickup, this will never be
explorable.

Also it just plain bothers me to see interfaces there may be very few
of left practically begging for homes because no one has a clue what
signal they understand or how to produce it, or what the features,
logic and musical thinking of that particular concept of
digitally-interfaced guitar was all about. There is virtually no real
info on these on the web, which is in itself pretty odd and piques my
curiosity.

- Laurie, a self-admitted music technogeek

Rich Williams
2005-08-10 23:34:52 UTC
I whole heartedly agree Laurie. Thanks to ebay, I'm now the proud
owner, of 2 Photon MIDI set ups, One is a Peavey Patriot Guitar
fitted with an exterior mounted optical pickup, the other is a
beautiful Gibson IV bass that had the optical pickup factory
mounted, during the brief period that Gibson owned the Photon
Technology (previously, the company was known as K-Muse and later
Phi-Tech) Gibson of course killed off the Photon (just like Oberheim
,Opcode etc....).

These pickups feed a 2 rackspace converter that had an amazing MIDI
implementation for its time(depending on the software revision). When
properly adjusted, they track very well. The Bass is particularly
interesting, as it is strung with piccolo strings, which alleviate a
lot of the slow tracking problems on the low e string, and it also
extends the instruments range way into guitarists territory, allowing
the use of Guitar stomp boxes etc, very cool, and never fails to make
people go "What the Fuck is that sound??!!"

Besides being a fun instrument in and of itself, It inspired me to
try putting Piccolo strings on a bass with the Roland 13-pin setup,
and sure enough, another unique instrument was born.
Subject: Re: The Passac Sentient Six guitar MIDI controller/hex pickup

Laurie
2005-08-16 05:39:41 UTC
I really don't know anything about the Photon guitar technologies.
You've got the optical pickups, right? And that's different from the
Photon guitar synthesizer (made by PhiTech)? There is just as little
info online about that system as about the Passac. Would you be
willing to describe what you've got a bit more? Just curious
(interested), thanks,

- Laurie

moon caine
2005-08-17 01:10:46 UTC
I used to have a PhiTech "K-Muse" [not sure if that's a company name or
what] guitar rig. It was plenty amazing for its time, but my GR tracks
far, far better and doesn't have a clunky, delicate pickup.

Don't leave yours plugged in. Mine was killed by a house's voltage,
somehow, and I was a kid with no money to fix it [plus, it was owned by
Gibson, so I couldn't find anyone who would unless I sent it to Kansas
with $350.00], so it sat under my bed until I had to move, years later,
and I tossed it in the dumpster. This was just before eBay took off, or
I'd have sold it.

The cables are very delicate, too -- don't walk on them, tug on them,
etc. Mine started coming out of its plug housing after a few gigs.

I saw Bunny Brunel kick ass on a piccolo bass with one of those -- just
amazing. For him, not a tracking error could be heard. For me, the low
E string on my Strat was useless.

It had a GREAT foot controller, with a hold, a small sequencer for
storing and playing back loops.... loved that foot box.

--moonie

Donald Pasewark
2005-08-10 23:26:16 UTC
Hi all,

A newbie lurker here. Just wondering what the group thinks about
Brian Moore iGuitars.

Thanks!
Don

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
Greg

Sean W Dougherty
2005-08-13 04:15:07 UTC
As someone on this board once said,
" PRS quality at a good price " -
and I'm talking about their cheaper
x1.13 series.

I bought an x1.13 because all the ones I tried had
very fast action and perfect intonation.
The x.13 series use better humbucking pickups
than the (BMG?) Aluminum-nickel-cobalts
that come with the x1.13s.
Some people might prefer these
for a more classic-rock sound,
but they're HOT. You turn towards
your amp and they squeal feedback.
Plus, the Sperzel locking tuners are a plus.
I might pick up a Custom model ($2k range)
within the next year, too. I won't even look at
an LXSA. They feel like dragging nails across
a chalkboard, and the notion that Ebony necks
make for better tracking gets buried once you play a few.

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
Steve Greenberg
2005-08-14 00:52:52 UTC
I have a custom shop model and it is a GREAT instrument with RMC/13 pin

Steve Greenberg

_____

I bought an x1.13 because all the ones I tried had
very fast action and perfect intonation.
The x.13 series use better humbucking pickups
than the (BMG?) Aluminum-nickel-cobalts
that come with the x1.13s.
Some people might prefer these
for a more classic-rock sound,
but they're HOT. You turn towards
your amp and they squeal feedback.
Plus, the Sperzel locking tuners are a plus.
I might pick up a Custom model ($2k range)
within the next year, too. I won't even look at
an LXSA. They feel like dragging nails across
a chalkboard, and the notion that Ebony necks
make for better tracking gets buried once you play a few.

midiguitar-***@yahoogroups.com--

_____

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

* Visit your group "midiguitar
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/midiguitar> " on the web.

hazard factor
2005-08-14 01:05:22 UTC
I have a Custom C-55, with a few additional enhancements (semi-hollow, no
synth volume knob, some other control changes) and it is one serious
tracking beast. It is amazing Brian Moore's (USA or Asian) aren't more
popular- they are great guitars.

Dave Eichenberger- guitars.loops.devices
http://www.hazardfactor.com

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
Andrew Capon
2005-08-15 08:10:40 UTC
I have a i1.13, Pretty good guitar all round.

I would recommend the guitar.

Also as a company they are very helpful.

Cheers

Andy

_____

A newbie lurker here. Just wondering what the group thinks about
Brian Moore iGuitars.

Thanks!
Don

midiguitar-***@yahoogroups.com--

Midi
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Midi+guitar&w1=Midi+guitar&w2=Stringed+
instruments&w3=Acoustic+guitar&w4=Guitar+amplifiers&c=4&s=87&.sig=bWRW1_NQN4
hecJv2mTeA_w> guitar

Stringed
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Stringed+instruments&w1=Midi+guitar&w2=
Stringed+instruments&w3=Acoustic+guitar&w4=Guitar+amplifiers&c=4&s=87&.sig=U
lE2PnTnmOHZ3zPAJde3LQ> instruments

Acoustic
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Acoustic+guitar&w1=Midi+guitar&w2=Strin
ged+instruments&w3=Acoustic+guitar&w4=Guitar+amplifiers&c=4&s=87&.sig=qHkwXm
hxSw8-CAJGIvp_pw> guitar

Guitar
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Guitar+amplifiers&w1=Midi+guitar&w2=Str
inged+instruments&w3=Acoustic+guitar&w4=Guitar+amplifiers&c=4&s=87&.sig=i7gM
aeLKFN5IrowkayqrFA> amplifiers

_____

Kevin Wright
2005-08-16 03:08:51 UTC
I have an i2.13 .... the early version with Duncans &
Sperzels ... great guitar !!

Kev..

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
Rich Williams
2005-08-18 00:47:37 UTC
I'm unaware if Phi-Tech made a "guitar synth" as such. The Phi-tech
units are pretty much identical to the earlier K-Muse units and they
didn't change much even after Gibson bought it up. The pickups have
small clear acrylic bars that project upwards from a black bar that
mounts under the strings, close to the bridge. There is a pair of
bars for each string, one bar housing the LED, and the other the
optosensor. (I dont know what frequency the light is, but its not
visible to the naked eye). Ideally, (and this is critical) the string
should dip into the light beam from the top, penetrating about 50%
through for optimum tracking.. There are trims for the string gains
in the little black box, that connects the pickup to the converter.
The pickup outputs to what most folks think is a proprietary cable,
but which in reality is a plain old db25 connector.

The converters are 2 rackspace units with a keypad, a big 4 digit
LED, six string indicators,, A pickup gain control, and a cartridge
slot. The firmware/software is entirely within the cartridge, so that
the same converter was used for all the different models they sold,
which were called "Standard Guitar", "Hyperspeed Guitar" (All strings
tuned to one pitch ala Yamaha G10), and "HyperOctave Bass". (Piccolo
tuning).

I have a Standard Guitar unit(K-Muse branded) with an early software
revision (1.3) and its usable but fairly primitive, It needs to get a
setup and put in the hands of a real guitar player before I make a
judgement on it (In the meantime I can do a mean Fred Frith
impression with it);-)

I also have a HyperOctave bass that I love, its got a much later
software revision (4.0) and includes a large hardware foot
controller. It has a arpeggiator/phrase sequencer that syncs to MIDI
, and more layering, string splits and harmony options than the
current roland technology.
Whover did the programming of the later software revisions was way
ahead of the curve. I was lucky enough to find a mint Photon-ready
Gibson bass on ebay, restrung it with piccolos and It tracks well
enough for what I do, though I imagine the 64th note crowd would be
disappointed..

I like the converters, they're built big and heavy, like old Oberheim
gear, though every one I've seen has needed a new battery, and the
cartridges are extremely rare, and absolutely neccesary for operation.

You're right about there being virtually no online info about these
things, I was lucky enough to get one unit that included a manual and
a warranty/upgrade history with correspondences that was extremely
helpful, without the key to the 2 letter names of the parameters
you'd be lost.

Rich

Sorry, but Ive just GOT to ask.........Does the appearance of the
holy godmother of algorithmic music software on this list mean that
we might be playing with some new and wonderful technology in the
future?